Non-Immigrant Visas

These are visas that allow someone to enter the country for a limited period of time. Depending on the visa obtained, the foreigner can be limited to visiting for a few days or up to a year or so.  If a work visa is obtained, the foreigner may be able to work in the US for several years or longer.  However, in all cases for non-immigrant visas, there is a time limit where the foreigner is required to go back home, unless the foreigner qualifies for residency based on a immigrant visa. The following list shows the more common types of non-immigrant visas presently available:

B1/B2 – Short term business or pleasure trips (tourist visa)

E1, E2, and E3 – Investment visas

F1 – Student visa

H1B, H2b, H3, and H4 – work visas, sponsored by an employer

J1 and J2 – Visa for exchange students, employees training, or summer or seasonal employees

K1 – Fiance visa

K3 and K4 – Visa for US Citizen Spouse and children to enter theUS while adjustment is pending

L1 and L2 – Intra-company transfer visa (work visa for transfer from employer out of country to US

O1, O2, and O3 – Visas available for people of extraordinary abilities

P1, P2, P3, and P4 – Visas available for people of extraordinary talents, arts, music, tv, etc.

Q1 – International cultural exchange programs

R1 and R2 – Religious visas

TN – Available to citizens of Canada and Mexico for work in specific, professional type positions

VWP– Visa Waiver Program – Citizens from specific countries are allowed to enter in this status,

without obtaining any other visa – they are permitted to stay for 90 days to visit only.


  • 3/10 year ban – If a foreigner is in this country out of status for a period of 6 months to one year, and then they leave the country, they are automatically banned from returning to the US for 3 years, even if they qualify for some other process. If they are here out of status for a period of 1 year or longer, and they leave this country, they are  automatically banned from returning to theUSfor 10 years.
  • For most family based visas, the applicant needs to return home to get their residency card.  However, for the immediate relative category, they can remain in the U.S., as long as they entered the country legally.  Even if they are out of status at this time, as long as they entered legally, they can adjust their status without leaving.


At YELEN LAW OFFICES, P.A., we offer three types of services to best suit your financial desires:

1. Full Representation, which typically includes preparation of documentation, filing, and attendance at interviews. Fees are customarily full, competitive price.

2. Partial Representation, which includes preparation of documentation; however, the packet is given to the Client to file and follow up with. This option customarily costs much less than Full Representation. We can also potentially be retained separately just to attend interviews with the client.

3. Document / Form Review, which includes a 1-2 hour consultation to review the forms that the client has filled out and wishes to file on his or her own. Fees for this options are hourly, based upon consutlation time, usually 1-3 hours in total.


Contact Us Today!